Allergy Management Information for Parents and Students of Greene County Public Schools:
Within our school community there are individuals who have potentially life threatening allergies to food(s).
Eating or having contact with food allergens can lead to a life-threatening reaction called anaphylaxis. Signs of anaphylaxis include; hives, difficulty breathing, vomiting and diarrhea, swelling of the lips, mouth, and throat, itching and sneezing, loss of consciousness, and death due to shock.
Allergy safe zones will be available, as an option, for students with food allergies, during meal times at school.
You can help staff and the school by taking advantage of opportunities to learn more about food allergies, and by helping your child understand the foods they freely enjoy can be dangerous to others.
Here are a few suggestions for you as a parent:
· Never take food allergies lightly; they can be serious and life-threatening
· Ask your child’s friends what they are allergic to and help them avoid it.
· Tell your child, “do not share food or eating utensils.”
· Talk with your child about the need for hand washing, with soap and water, after eating. This is an essential step in preventing accidental exposure.
We do not have a ban on any food(s) within Greene County Public Schools. Employees and students can pack any food they choose for their lunch and snacks. We do ask that only prepackaged foods, that have the ingredients clearly labeled, be sent in for classroom celebrations, class projects, afterschool activities, or any activity where food is brought in for a group.
If you have any questions please contact your child’s school nurse. Thank you!